The focus of this event is to:
- increase awareness of cancer research and prevention (Shine On! Kids, an organization for child cancer and their program for Tohoku; “Shine On! Kids” )
- ride with friends and make new friends
- to be physically challenged. (THIS IS NOT A RACE but a personal challenge to be done with your friends.) **Once NORTHSTAR Alpine Lodge is full, participants will be lodged at a neighboring lodge.
“I am personally stoked about NORIKURA CENTURY as it will mark the 5th year (2007) since I found out I had melanoma, and it will be a grand time to celebrate life …. to remember that REAL ADVENTURE and REAL LIFE is what we were designed for. I am thankful for the prayers from many friends and many guests to pull me through these tough times. Will you ride with me on this challenge?”
Sunday, September 14th 2014*
*You must register on the 13th. The Century Ride Package will be for 13th to 15th (2 nights 3 days)
Road Riders over the age of 18**
**You must be in good shape and be able to do basic bike repairs yourself on the road. The Norikura Century is a technical and climbing century with long ascents and descents (the object is NOT to do rapid descents) and should only be attempted by competent, experienced riders.
Event and Donation: ¥11,000 (¥5,000 for donation) *Does not include BBQ
Century Package: ¥28,500 (includes 2 night lodgings with 4 meals, BBQ, Event and Donation)
Lodging: ¥8,400 per person (includes dinner and breakfast)
BBQ Only (Sep. 16th): ¥2,850
All prices are shown without sales tax (8%).
Payment: Your reservation/application will be finalized when you send in your non-refundable donation and event fee. Your lodging fee will be paid at the check in time.
DAY ONE – 9/13 (Sat.)
- 3:00PM Check-in and final registration
- 5:00PM Event Orientation and Welcome Party*
- *All participants are strongly recommended to attend.
- 6:00PM Dinner
**We are planning on have a massage therapist come in but it will be reservations only and for 30 minute blocks (3,000 per 30 minutes). If you are interested please contact us well in advance.
DAY TWO – 9/14 (Sun.)
- 4:30AM Breakfast
- 5:30AM Meet at NORTHSTAR
- 5:45AM START OF THE CENTURY RIDE
- *Lunch will be on your own and can be purchased at a convenience store along the route of the ride and there will be aid stations but most of
- 12:00PM 80km Time Limit at Michi-no-Eki Hida Asahi Mura
- 4:30PM 118km Time Limit at Nomugi-Pass
- 6:00PM Last arrival Goal at NORTHSTAR
- 6:30PM Celebration and BBQ
DAY THREE – 9/15 (Mon.)
- 8:00AM Breakfast
- 9:00AM Mountain Bike Guided Tour (Optional)
We strongly encourage you to ride this as a team event. As mentioned, you must be in good shape and be able to do basic bike repairs yourself on the road. The Norikura Century is technical and climbing century with long ascents and descents (4,000 vertical meters; the object is NOT to do rapid descents) and should only be attempted by competent, experienced riders. All record keeping will be done by each rider and not officially done. There will be an initial start for the riders at 6 am.
The ride will go through astounding scenery around Mt. Norikura. From the classic ascent of Norikura Hill Climb (21 Kilometers) starting at 1500 meters and climbing to 2720 meters, to the rolling traverse above Takayama, following the historical route of Nomugi at 1672 meters, a descent to Nagawa, finally the last climb from Nagawa to Shirakaba-Pass and ride down to NORTHSTAR. There really is no better way to enjoy this part of the Northern Japan Alps than while riding this century.!
Norikura Kanko Center (1450M) – Norikura Echo Line – Prefecture Border (2720M)- Noikura Sky Line – Hirayu Pass (1684M) – R158 – Hida Nohen Rt. (655M) – Bijyo Hights (830M) – R831 (Kiso Kaido) – Nomugi Kaido – Nomugi Pass (1672M) – Nagawa（1009m） – Shirakaba Pass – Norikura Kanko Center（1450m）
Rout Map (Only in Japanese)：http://yj.pn/Ty1ORV
*GPS Data（GPXFile）The GPS data is downloadable from the link above.
List of Key Turns with distances from start
- 8km Sanbondaki Gate
- 14km Kuraigahara Sansou
- 20km trun right
- 30km toilet
- 33km CP1 turn left
- 36km center lane to TAKAYAMA
- 44km （turn left) 47km turn left
- 57km CP2 DailyStore
- 58km turn left
- 63km turn right
- 73km turn left
- 76km straight
- 78km CP3 Hida Asahimura
- 89km Hida Takane Kobo
- 96km turn right
- 99km turn left
- 110km Nomugi no Yakata
- 118km CP4 Nomugi Pass
- 130km straight
- 134km turn left
- 144km Shirakaba Pass
- 156km Norikura Kogen
This event started in 2009 and our focus is to put on an enjoyable, safe ride however the roads will not be closed to cars and bicycle safety will ultimately be your personal responsibility.
NORTHSTAR will provide detailed course maps, marked turns, and a safety vehicle for unexpected problems at the 80 kilometer mark. It is however the responsibility of the rider to have a well maintained bicycle, all necessary repair equipment including a pump, extra tubes, lights for tunnels, sunscreen, and enough water and power gel. Riding in a group is suggested and helmets and a light for front and back are always mandatory. *Please remember that you will be going over 3 passes and the weather can be very unpredictable. BE PREPARE! Bring an extra shirt, rain gear. Stay Warm!
- It is a requirement that riders obey all traffic laws. That means STOPPING at all stop signs. Riders also need to watch speed limits. Police will ticket offenders! Also, iPods or other MP3 or Radios if worn while cycling are extremely DANGEROUS, for your safety and the safety of others, don’t use your iPod while riding!
- This is not a race and we do not have any official timing though we will have a check point at the mid-point of the route, 80km. The latest arrival time will be 12:00pm and if you are later than that, you need to ride on a support vehicle back to NORTHSTAR. Support vehicles will drive slow and support other participants and retired riders need to ride the van along the course. The vehicle will not go back home from the check point.
- Each rider will be responsible for himself/herself. There will be a mid-point where there will be a support vehicle but remember that is for ONLY emergency purposes only. Ride with a friend! Get to know others! Don’t go alone.
- Please make sure to give all riding partners your cell phone number BUT also remember that there are many areas that does not have coverage!
- Riders should expect the ride to be 8-12 hours long, with most riders arriving back to the start point from 3pm-5pm. After the ride, please relax at our bath. Finally, we will end the evening by having an American style BBQ and Celebration.
eMail or Phone (0263−93−1688)